SUVA (SPC/Pacific Media Watch):A new research report assess the political profile and the human rights developments in each of the 16-member countries of the Pacific Islands Forum.
Published by the Pacific Community (SPC) the Human Rights in the Pacific: A situational analysis has collated data from 2012 to May 2016 and gives an overview of each country’s:
· System of government
· Judicial system and administration of justice
· Access to justice and the right to remedy
· National human rights institution
· Security sector
· Civil society and human rights defenders
· Domestic law and human rights
· Human rights policies
· Right to life, liberty and security of person
· Equality and non-discrimination
· Freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly
· Economic rights
· Right to health and education
The research also identifies gaps and opportunities to fulfil priority human rights commitments in the Pacific.
Download the full report here.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3